My Favourite Podcasts
I don't know about you but I have been getting really into podcast's over the last year or so. I feel since the whole 'Serial' hype there has been such a surge in amazing and inspiring podcasts to choose from. They seem to cover just about every subject matter and they are just such a good way to pass the time on long journeys, when your exercising, or my favourite way when I'm chilling out in the sunshine. So I thought I would share with you a few of my favourites that I have been loving lately....
1. Gilmore Guys - This is probably what got me started listening to podcasts, once I found out that this existed then I was like oh my I need this in my life. This is a show created by two guys, one who loves Gilmore Girls and knows everything about it and the other who has barely seen more than a few minutes of an episode in his life. Each show talks and discusses each individual episode in chronological order. Show one is about Season One Episode One and so on. If you are a massive fan of GG like me then you will just love this, hearing someone else's take on the story and characters is so interesting and they also have some of the cast on to talk about the show in later episodes too. Its such a great fun, light-hearted listen.
Where to start - The very beginning
2. Ted Talks - This one is pretty self explanatory I suppose but I just can't get enough of it. It's the audio of every Ted talk you can think of. Ted Talks bring together such an amazing array of inspiring and interesting people and I could listen to them all day long.
Where to start - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's inspiring and now super famous talk will really let you know what Ted Talks is all about if you've never had a listen before.
3. WTF with Marc Maron - Probably my favourite ever podcast at the moment. I had no idea who he was until I was browsing through some podcast lists and thought it looked quite interesting and gave his show a listen and I'm so glad I did. Marc is a comedian but don't let that put you off as he takes on the role of presenter and sort of unofficial buddy to the guest rather than trying to crack jokes and make them feel awkward which I find so many comedians do in their podcasts. Each show varies, Marc can sometimes talk to one guest for about an hour or he might talk to a few people in that time, it always changes. He has the most amazing list of people who he has spoke to. I love that his show feels so natural and intimate. It sort of feels like you are listening in to a couple of friends just talking about life. I love though that he asks some tough questions and really delves into people's lives though too without being pushy or it feeling invasive to them. If you like hearing a learning more about people's lives then I would urge you to have a listen of this.
Where to start - Such a hard question but two of my favourites have been the Jason Bateman episode because I didn't think it was possible for me to love that man more until I listened to this but turns out it was possible and I now definitely love him more haha and the President Obama podcast is just really, really wonderful and inspiring too.
4. Desert Island Discs - An oldie but a goodie right? This takes one celebrity each week and asks them which songs, book and luxury item they would take with them on a desert island whilst chatting and talking about their life too. I love the format and I always think you get to hear some fun things from the guests.
Where to start - If you love Tennis like I do then you will love Judy Murray's episode as much as I did.
5. Song Exploder - This is what I have been listening to a lot at the minute. If I had a podcast I would want it to be this one, I just love the idea so much. Take a musician or band and ask them what one of their songs is about, explain the meaning about it then listen to the song. And that's literally the format of every episode but I really love it. I have always loved hearing what some of my favourite songs are about and getting to hear the actual musician tell the stories behind some of their biggest hits is just amazing.
Where to start - The Lumineers Ophelia episode is my new favourite.
So there you go just a few of my favourite picks. I have a lot more beauty/fashion/food ones that I have been loving that I think I'm going to put in a separate post soon.
Also to listen to the podcasts I use either the PodcastAddict app or the Stitcher app, they are my two favourites just in case you were looking for some good free apps to listen to your podcasts on too!
I hope you enjoy this post and please do leave me all you favourite podcasts in the comments below as I am always on the lookout for some new finds....